BZPRPG: Ga-Wahi

Ga-Wahi
A vista of Kini-Nui from the Mata Nui Online Game
  • Posted 2013-12-08 17:12:44 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • OOC: Trying out first person

IC: Helios (Helios' Office)

It was quite frankly disappointing to see just how little there was to be done in the greenhouses at the moment, I'd already finished the job for today.

I was informed when I returned to the surface that I'd been granted a small office in which I could attend to my new job. It was very sparingly furnished and not very roomy.

Just the way I liked it.

"Alright," I mumbled as I flipped through Eutuchia's blueprints, "let's see what I else I can come up with."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-08 21:46:50 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

"An unpredictable Skakdi isn't interesting." The Le-Toa replied drily, moving deeper into the clinic with smooth, graceful steps. Taking one last sip she set her mug aside, casting it out of her personal reality. Once inside the examination room, the largest room in the house, she immediately began going through her cupboards, withdrawing jars of this and that, a few leaves of one thing, a packet of dried versions of another. "That's just life, these days."

The room was well lit by several windows overlooking the bay, though they were outfitted with curtains that could be drawn shut for privacy. A few chairs were scattered about, but the majority of the space was open, the side of the room occupied with two beds. Counters lined the walls beneath cupboards, and a mop bucket stood in the corner.

"Cap'n Shajs," She said with a sudden, easy drawl, as if she'd been speaking that way her entire life. As she turned around, magnifying lens in hand, she buttoned the lab coat she wore, the professional gesture at odds with her tone. "It'd be just fan-tastic if you take a seat on the bed over there. I'll get ya fixed up in no time."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-10 09:05:15 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Helios (Helios' Office)

"No, no, no, no"

I eviscerated the sketch with impertinent swiftness, the smell of hot pencil lead striking my nose like the produce of a stuffed Muaka.

"What was I thinking?" I asked myself. Actually, scratch that, was I thinking at all?

I'd decided to try my luck with the new apartment complexes Ga-Koro wanted to build, but I clearly didn't have the eye for this sort of thing, it looked absolutely horrendous.

I sighed, chucking the crumpled up paper in the nearby waste bin with a pinpoint manipulation of the surrounding gravitons. I remained like that for a while, hunched over my desk, staring at the waste bin like it had personally wronged me.

And then I smiled.

"Oh, what does it matter?" I asked myself as I put the corresponding blueprint away, instead picking up another one, studying it carefully.

"There's other games in town"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 00:28:22 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC

He laughed. “Since when do you cook?”

Shut up,” she replied good-naturedly, as she tried in vain to crack an egg on the edge of the pan. Her tapping grew in tempo and velocity until the white sphere finally broke, splattering the stove with its insides. Not one drop landed in the pan.

She swore, and tossed the shells away to join a growing pile on the floor.

You know,” he said, moving to pick up the shells. “You could just put these in the garbage.”

And maybe you could shut your face while I try to make breakfast,” she threw back, already picking up another egg.

We could just go out,” he said as he tossed the empty shells into the trash.

Or we could eat here.”

Can you guarantee I won't die of food poisoning?”

She turned around, balancing a kitchen knife on one finger and a sly smile on her lips. “Watch your mouth, Sidekick Sarcasm, or you might just regret it.”

He threw up his hands in mock surrender. “You wanna know how I got these scars?”

They both laughed, and then the knife slipped, and she watched her finger open up and spill crimson liquid to the ground-

She was running through the forest, a half-dead Toa of Iron weighing down her shoulders. Every step knocked precious droplets of blood from his wounds. He moaned. She cursed.

She dodged tree roots and stones, half-seen obstacles in the pale moonlight, struggling not to fall, not to drop him. Her legs ached from the strain; her arms pleaded for rest. She couldn't. He might still be out there. There was no time.

Then the shadows came alive and engulfed her, and she felt herself falling-

She was flying through the air, her leap carrying her from the top of one building to the next. She landed gracefully, turning her momentum into a roll, and sprang up, moving quickly and silently.

The city glowed, its lights obscuring the stars. Everything was hazy: the smog of the factories filled the air, making the world shimmer. She ran across the roof, then jumped again, little more than a silhouette against the neon lights.

She landed on the next rooftop, and he was already there, waiting for her.

What took you so long?”

She bent over, breathing heavily. “Three guards... had those... zap things. Knocked 'em... out cold.”

Looking up, she smiled and held out two small black half-spheres, dangling from a fistful of wires.

It wasn't a... complete waste of time, though. I got a pair of their... palm zappers. Might come in handy.”

He laughed. “I'm glad we're on the same team.”

The sound of pounding footsteps reached their ears: a team of guards was in fast pursuit, only a roof or two down.

Are you ready to go?” he asked. “We've gotta get moving, unless you feel like fighting a dozen more of these guys.”

She stood straight, and cracked her neck. “Let's go.”

They ran, and leaped, but she missed a step, and then she was falling, falling-

She emerged from the ocean with hardly a splash.

The little boat bobbed gently in the water, it sails folded up for the night. She softly drew her dagger through the canvas.

She knew the consequences, but she did it anyway. She fastened an explosive to a propeller, rigging the engine to explode as soon as it started up.

Then, somehow, it did start up. The roar alerted her, putting a spark of fear in her belly, but it was too late.

The ship exploded.

The seas were stormy; waves threw themselves against the dock, sending up clouds of salty spray. The wind tossed the sails. The air was full of ash.

I promise I'll meet you there,” he shouted over the wind. “Just get out of here!”

Behind him, the city was engulfed in flames. No rain fell, but the sky was full of black clouds.

Lightning flashed. A wave tossed the boat, and she felt her stomach drop as she dropped to one knee and fought to find her balance-

She knelt on the ground, a dying Turaga in her lap. He smiled at her, then closed his eyes. His face was peaceful, even though he lay in a pool of his own blood.

Her heart felt as though it would tear itself apart as she watched him slip away. Tears, unbidden, squeezed themselves from between her lids, and trickled down her cheeks.

A tear dripped off her nose and spattered the dead man's mask.

Then she was falling, falling, falling-

I opened my eyes and tried to move, but I was tangled in the sheets. Instead of gracefully leaping out of bed, like I'd hoped, I just fell out and hit the ground.

I lay there for a long moment, just trying to get back to reality. I was in a green hut. There was a nightstand and a desk and a bed and I was on the ground, wrapped up in coral-pink cotton sheets. An empty vodka bottle lay inches from my nose.

Who was I?

Images danced through my brain, beating on the inside of my skull. I groaned, and rolled over, tried to stand up, but couldn't. The best I could manage was to get to my hands and knees and just stay there, staring at the ground, my head spinning.

Who was I?

For a second, I was terrified. I couldn't remember. I didn't know where I was or who I was or what was going on, only that my head hurt and my stomach was twisted in knots and the image of a dying Turaga was etched into my brain.

I struggled to remember, and then my hangover ripped open and it all came flooding back.

Just do the job. The Bandit.

This must be what it feels like to be a god.

Dorian Shaddix.

Grokk. "Something's on your mind”

Heauni. "Do you see them?" Just do the job.

“do not cry for me”

Caerus

Brykon.

Just do the job.

Aurelia. what would you sell your soul for?

Xa-Koro. “I can't have that on my conscience, you know.”

“So you're still alive.” Ta-Koro.

“i love you.” Vakama.

Pala-Koro.

Just do the ###### job!

Kethrye.

The torrent of names and faces and memories poured over me like a tsunami. I knelt, head in my hands, and just tried to survive as my life tried to drown me.

I'm Jin.

That was my anchor. That was who I was. All these things were just memories.

I'm Jin.

They couldn't hurt me. The blood wasn't real. The faces weren't real.

I'm Jin I'm Jin I'm Jin I'm Jin I'm Jin I'm Jin I'm Jin I'm Jin I'm Jin.

The flood lasted forever, and then it ended. The waters receded. I was left alone, reciting my anchor over and over and over.

“My name is Jin Deoli.

“My name is Jin Deoli.

“My name is Jin Deoli.”

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 07:54:50 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Helios (Naho Bay)

I had decided to take my mind off the extremely frustrating projects for a moment or two and instead focus on something I knew I was good at. Namely; disks.

For, you see, I'm not just any old two-bit disk maker, I've got a few "special" variants that you probably haven't seen before.

And seeing as I'm about to do some target practice with them, I guess there wouldn't be any harm in telling you how they work.

Or rather, show you.

I'd set up a small target range on an unused patch of land along the shore, consisting of haphazardly constructed wooden dummies as targets. At least one of them looked like it had a face, a very irritating one at that, it looked like it was sticking its tongue out at me.

"Chuck," I barked ("Chuck", get it?), "wipe that stupid grin off your face"

The dummy didn't respond, being an inanimate object and all, but I imagined him protesting and saying he wasn't doing anything like that, to which I cleverly responded.

"But you were thinking it, weren't you?"

"This sort of slanderous disrespect for authority requires you be taught a lesson. I think It's high time you got to meet the "Buzzers" I said as I raised my Launcher

"Mata Nui... no, please no" Chuck protested, but it was too late. In rapid succession, a grand total of five disks came spinning forth from the launcher at the wooden dummy, zipping through the air at a breakneck pace.

The first two disks struck Chuck (hah) in such a manner that he edged a few inches backwards, the third one knocked his head off, and the last two managed to knock the body over, toppling into the sand like a drunkard.

The whole scene hadn't even lasted five seconds.

So, those were my "Buzzers"; rapid fire-disks that do less damage individually, but can be very effective when used in a quick firing sequence.

"I want an early retirement" Chuck whined.

"Oh, pipe down, you" I shot back

OOC: Helios is open for interaction

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 11:08:16 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Rannin

"I have heard somewhere that associating voices with inanimate objects may be a sign of madness," spoke a gravelly voice from nearby, its low tones resounding clearly across this small stretch of beach. "However, you should not immediately take what I say without a grain of salt."

The speaker, a rather idiomatically confused Toa of Iron, rose from the nearby boulder he had been sitting on. With shining crimson eyes, disfigured body, and imposing figure, he must have appeared to be a terrible giant birthed from the nightmares of young children. However, no matter the undercurrent of danger that followed him, Rannin exuded a sense of reliability, even if he did not exactly seem very approachable.

"An interesting creation," he remarked as he approached Helios, appraising the dummy thoughtfully. "What exactly are their properties?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 11:44:08 UTC
    View post on BZP

I looked in the direction of the coarse voice to see a Toa of Iron who looked like a strange sort of chimeric fusion of various aspects of his own element. Largely looking like a slab of dull grey metal, his right arm and eyes in particular stood out.

"Me, mad?" I asked, "why of all the nerve..."

I trailed off, chuckling lightly as I slung my disk launcher over my shoulder. He did sort of have a point, I've been told before that if I was left alone with my craft for any length of time, I would usually begin acting, to put it generously, "eccentric".

I wasn't really quite as put off by his appearence as others might've been, once you go through the joy of catching Colx at his least presentable hour (Sunday morning), you've sort of seen everything. Add to that the reassuring tone on his voice, and I managed to respond friendly enough when I proceeded to answer his question.

"What, the disks or the dummies?" I asked innocently, blinking innociously

"The dummies are just improvized target practice, the one with an attitude is named Chuck"

"As for the disks" I continued as I walked closer, using my powers to drag one of them into my hand...

"I call 'em "Buzzers", made 'em myself. Less weight and mass, but greater speed and precision."

OOC: Oh yeah, going first person was definitely the right choice

• Edited on 2013-12-11 11:47:42 by Dr. O
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 11:54:20 UTC
    View post on BZP

Rannin nodded, his eyes carefully inspecting every single aspect of the disk in the other Toa's hand. Speed and precision were essential in ranged projectiles, and while the disks that his fellow being had created ("Buzzers") may have seemed rather lacking in power, they would be rather effective, especially in situations where a need for rapid attacks outweighed the need for damage.

"Useful," he commented.

His shoulders tensed for the slightest moment, before relaxing.

"Oh, I have forgotten to introduce myself."

The Iron Toa held out a hand. "Rannin."

• Edited on 2013-12-11 12:12:00 by Totally Prodigious Artist
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 12:03:56 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • OOC: I believe you may have misunderstood the part where Helios "used his powers to drag one of them into his hand". The Disks aren't metal, but bamboo. Helios is a Toa of Gravity, that's why he could levitate one like that.

IC: Helios (Naho Bay)

"Helios" I replied, shaking the Fe-Toa's hand sternly.

I turned to the toppled dummy, and through a quick shifting of the nearby gravitons, I tipped Chuck upright again.

"Oh, karz" Chuck grumbled.

"So," I asked as I turned back to Rannin, "what are you doing out here? Not spying on me, I hope"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 12:12:58 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • OOC: Whoops. Edited.

IC: Rannin

"Nothing like that," replied Rannin. "I had simply been out for a walk when I noted your demonstration."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 12:54:27 UTC
    View post on BZP

"You wouldn't happen to be a local, would you?" I asked as I took a look around to locate my backpack.

Ah, there it was, right in the palm shades like earlier. I had some other disks to practice with.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 12:56:47 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC Lai Lai

(Ga-Wahi, Naho Bay):

Suddenly a bush next to Helios and Rannin rustled just before a head popped into visibility amongs the leaves.

"I wasn't spying either", said the Ga-Matoran with her squeaky voice. "Just... observing."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 13:03:17 UTC
    View post on BZP

Now there was unquestionably a local resident. She even had disk launcher slung across her back. A woman after my own heart, perhaps?

Wait, that came out wrong, didn't it?

I gave the Ga-Matoran a friendly smile, gesturing to my own launcher.

"You wouldn't happen to be "observing" my arsenal, would you?" I asked.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 13:03:20 UTC
    View post on BZP

It said something about the Toa of Iron that random people popping out of nowhere did not unnerve him.

"Not exactly," he replied.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 13:17:31 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • OOC: You cracked me up with that question Gear XD

IC Lai Lai

(Ga-Wahi, Naho Bay):

Lai Lai blushed at the question.

"No, no sir", she said, sounding sheepish. "Just... um... well, I am local."

She gave a look at Rannin.

"Hey. Name's Lai Lai."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 13:20:50 UTC
    View post on BZP

"Hello."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 13:31:51 UTC
    View post on BZP

Hang on a second, did she... oh Muaka-dung, abort, abort.

"I was being literal, you know" I hurriedly pointed out, gesturing to the disk launcher a second time.

"Aaaanyway, the name's Helios. Nice to meet, you"

• Edited on 2013-12-11 13:32:30 by Dr. O
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 13:34:53 UTC
    View post on BZP

"This conversation has taken a rather strange turn."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 13:45:02 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC Lai Lai

(Ga-Wahi, Naho Bay):

"Literal?" Lai Lai replied in confusion, then quickly added "Uh, of course, naturally! Eh, it's one fine arsenal, sure. I use a disk launcher myself but I've never seen such a versatile set of disks. Nice to meet you both, Helios and Rannin."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 13:47:23 UTC
    View post on BZP

"Likewise."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 14:10:54 UTC
    View post on BZP

"When you're under stress, your body is unable to react the exact way you want it to. Because of this you'll need to learn how to calm yourself in the middle of a perilous situation. He who maintains calm and balance in the middle of combat will usually be the one with the upper hand."

"Right" I replied with a dutiful nod where I sat, legs crossed, as always Colx had a lot to say and even more to demonstrate. Melna on the other hand yawned and leaned back, all that earned her was a weak blast of impact vision to her cheek.

"Pay attention" Colx grumbled, Melna pouted at him as she rubbed her sore spot.

"Sooo many words. There's gotta be an easier way to remember that, Melna mumbled as she drew circles in the air with her pinky finger, her face suddenly lit up.

"I know," she said, "like this: when in trouble; keep calm and DFTBA"

Colx and I looked at her in dumbfounded confusion, she giggled a little before she explained.

"DFTBA. Don't Forget To Breathe Air"

I laughed, Colx laughed, Melna laughed. Wow, that woman, she always had a way of making everything around a party.

"So that's that, then," Colx agreed "when in trouble; keep calm and DFTBA"

The lesson played clearly in my head as I shedded my worries, and opened my eyes again with an unassuming smile.

Aaand back to reality in 3, 2, 1...

"Yes, you see I'm a disk maker, so I've tinkered a lot with different ways to make them. It's yielded some pretty impressive results"

• Edited on 2014-01-05 12:12:40 by Dr. O
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 14:14:30 UTC
    View post on BZP

"I have never been one for disks," said Rannin, gesturing to the ridiculously massive blade that hung off his back. "But I may try them out."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 14:21:09 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC Lai Lai

(Ga-Wahi, Naho Bay):

Rannin's statement seemed to excite Lai Lai.

"Can we try them out?" she asked.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 14:32:22 UTC
    View post on BZP

I spared a glance at Rannin's large sword, pondering for a second how it might have fared against my own rather sizable warhammer. A pity I had left it when I walked out here.

"Can we try them out?" Lai Lai asked.

"Why of course" I replied, taking a second to retrieve my backpack (and picking up the Buzzers still scattered around Chuck).

I twirled one of the Buzzers in my hand, preparing to go more in-depth on its functionality..

"The Buzzers are designed specifically to be fired in rapid succession, and to do that requires a disk launcher with a magazine, like mine"

"But let's put those aside for now" I continued and tucked the disk away as my hand emerged from the backpack with another.

This disk was slightly larger and noticeably thinner, almost sharpened.

"This," I presented, "is an "Aerodisk". Range is the order of the day with these"

"Care to try?" I asked, handing the disk to Lai Lai.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 14:36:07 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC Lai Lai

(Ga-Wahi, Naho Bay):

"Yeah", Lai Lai said, trying not to sound too excited. She took the disk and inserted it in her own launcher. "Where should I aim?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 14:45:23 UTC
    View post on BZP

"How far do these usually travel?" asked the Toa of Iron, curiosity evident within his tone.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 14:49:24 UTC
    View post on BZP

"An approximate 100 bio, compared to the regular 75 or so" I replied immediately, this was the sort of stuff I knew.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 14:51:05 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC Lai Lai

(Ga-Wahi, Naho Bay):

Lai Lai shot the disk towards a tree some distance away. The disk hit the trunk and unceremonially bounced off it an fell to the ground.

"Nice", Lai Lai said.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 15:14:29 UTC
    View post on BZP

"Nice?" I asked, "it was nothing short of perfect"

I called the disk over again. It was currently the only one of that type I had available, so I had to be careful with it.

"Seriously, though" I continued as I tucked the disk away "good shot, there, Lai Lai"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 15:16:36 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC Lai Lai

(Ga-Wahi):

"Not really", she replied. "I wasn't aiming at that spot. I haven't had practice for a long time and it's beginning to show."

She shrugged. "Then again, I haven't had reason to. Now show me how you shoot disks, the two of you."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 15:17:11 UTC
    View post on BZP

"It would not be any trouble if I tried one, would it?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 15:22:08 UTC
    View post on BZP

"Of course not" I replied, dragging another disk from the backpack. This one had a row of small holes along the brim.

"This here's a "whistler" I said, handing it to Rannin.

OOC: I'll rp the disk once its launched, just so we're clear

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 15:25:21 UTC
    View post on BZP

"It whistles, does it not?" said Rannin bemusedly.

However, he took the disk with his dominant arm, and threw it with great force along the beach.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 15:29:37 UTC
    View post on BZP

Rannin had guessed correctly, as the disk sped along the shoreline, the air pressure forced air through the many holes to produce a resonant choir of sharp whistles to emanate from the disk.

"Precisely," I confirmed as the disk settled in the sand, "great for distractions"

• Edited on 2013-12-15 15:26:27 by Dr. O
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 15:39:19 UTC
    View post on BZP

"Interesting."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 15:45:09 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC Lai Lai

(Ga-Wahi, Naho Bay):

"Truly", Lai Lai said, and she meant it too. "Now what do you use these for, Helios? Just a hobby, or maybe involved in your job?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 15:54:59 UTC
    View post on BZP

"Well, it sorta depends on how you look at it" I admitted as I packed the whistler away.

"See, I'm technically on an island-wide journey where I seek to fulfill my duty as a Toa. You know, heroism and good works and such, so obviously I use these in part to fight bad guys"

"At the moment, however, my actual job is more oriented around constructive pursuits"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 21:48:30 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC Lai Lai

(Ga-Wahi, Naho Bay):

"A hero, eh?" Lai Lai said, raising an eyebrow. "Haven't seen many of those lately. I'm also on an island-wide journey though, in a way... I'm a messenger, you see. Perhaps you'd like someone to travel with?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 21:58:33 UTC
    View post on BZP

"That would've been nice" I admitted "but I'm not going anywhere for a while. See, I'm currently under contract by Hahli's staff, I work maintenance and upkeep on those greenhouses of yours, in addition to other odd jobs of the sort"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-12-11 22:03:23 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC Lai Lai

(Ga-Wahi, Naho Bay):

"Eh, too bad. Could've used a strong Toa like yourself to carry the bags."

Lai Lai turned to Rannin.

"How 'bout you?"

• Tags: