BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi

Ko
A vista of Kini-Nui from the Mata Nui Online Game
  • Posted 2021-09-02 15:09:51 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Dartakh (Ko-Koro, Sanctum, Korzaa's Office)

Before the door opened, Dartakh had expected the guard captain to be a Toa or some other, physically strong and tall figure. So when he instead had to look down and see a short Matoran telling him that she was Korzaa, he was both surprised and disappointed. Nevertheless, he saluted his new commanding officer.

"I am Dartakh, a mercenary warrior hired by your Akiri, tasked with training your soldiers and aiding with the defence of the Koro. He told me to come and speak to you, ma'am."

OOC: @Visaru

• Edited on 2021-09-02 15:11:09 by Daniel the Finlander
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-02 15:47:15 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • :i::c:

Korzaa gave a brisk nod, and began scratching away at an ice tablet as she briefed the new recruit. Although the language was routine, it was no less earnest for it: "Welcome to the force, Dartahk. You are now responsible for guarding the lives of the Ko-Koronans and the sanctity of their village. Although you are a mercenary, I expect you to take your role as seriously as any of the Ko-Matoran who fight to preserve their own home. It is not a light burden, but I can tell by your scars you are not new to such endeavours."

She raised her head and fixed him in her sights. "Do you have special skills? How do you believe I can best make use of you?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-02 16:48:18 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC, Atamai: Rhanus's Inn

Atamai nodded and downed the rest of his ale. He got up and wrapped his scarf up tighter. As he left the inn, he began making a mental list of what he would need for the journey.

OOC: short post now, maybe a longer post later

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-02 16:50:05 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP

At the very least, the captain seemed to be serious professional, which was quite different from the leadership style of the Outsiders. He simply nodded when she told him of his duty. There was no doubt he'd take his job seriously as long as he'd get paid regularly.

"I am a fighter first and foremost," he quickly replied, "Specialized in fighting users of elemental powers. But during times of peace, I guess I am best at training others to improve their close combat skills. I don't mind patrol duty either. The Akiri mentioned the Dark Walk hasn't been as quiet as before lately."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-02 19:35:50 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Savrehn - Rhanus's Inn

With that, Savrehn also left the inn, grumbling to himself about what he had just gotten into. He took a swig of his flask, then tucked it away in case any guards thought to confront him on public drinking.

Eventually he faded into the background, off to do whatever he needed to before the next morning came.

OOC: @BULiK@~Xemnas~

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-02 20:24:12 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • 4 hours ago, Wotz said:

IC: Kahlynn (Obsidian Outpost)

Stunned, Kahlynn retracted his hand, eyebrows raised, eyes darting back and forth between Mar and his Rahi companion. "Alright, alright, jheez!" He returned to the fire, responding defensively with the tone of a knowing mother, "All I'm saying is, if you revive him first, he won't tell us where the treasure is." Finding a nearby stick on the ground, the Skakdi gave the flames a prod. "What kinda merc doesn't wanna get paid?"

IC: Mar (Obsidian Outpost)

"He doesn't look like he's in a state to tell us anything right now, anyway" I answered, not looking away for a moment. Karv sat, still staring at the Skadki along with me. Spirits, that felt good to do.

So good that I even felt like invoking the spirits, apparently.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-02 21:01:30 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC Tarkahn - Akiri's Office

"I've received correspondence from Akiri Hahli regarding the situation, from the sounds of things, they've all but lost their homeland to an invasion."

He wet his lips nervously.

"An invasion by Rahkshi.  A force large enough to displace almost their entire people. This is a subject I think all of my advisors should be present for. Please, if you would, retrieve Korzaa, and Reordin Maru, if you can. Any of your own team you feel could offer insight would be welcome as well."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-02 23:04:59 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • 14 hours ago, Geardirector said:

"Fine, whatever."

Kahlynn was far from wanting death on his conscience. But to play the hero and place someone else's needs before his own was simply not in his nature. It wasn't like he and Gak were lifelong friends, or related or anything - the other Skakdi was just some old drunkard. They had met in a bar, one of Kahlynn's usual haunts, and in a state of utter inebriation Gak had spilled the beans on this treasure map. It didn't take much convincing for them to leave for Ko-Wahi immediately. But no matter how much Mahi Blud he coaxed the old man along with, Gak refused to reveal the precise location or nature of the treasure, nor would he draw a map.

Remembering the Mahi Blud, Kahlynn reached for his hip flask. It squeaked a little as he unscrewed it - the cold - and poured it into his gigantic mouth. It wasn't actual blood, of course, it was made from berries and named as such for its colour.

Blud still trickling in streams down his chin, he looked back over at Mar. "You got medical training or something, Marc?"

• Edited on 2021-09-03 11:32:32 by Wotz
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 00:25:58 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Aelied - Akiri's Office

The tall toa of plantlife rose from his seat. "Very well, Akiri. I will return with Reordin and some of the Kalta; I believe Kozraa is still meeting the first Vortixx you sent over."

A short bow, and Aelied turned and left the office, pulling shut his cloak for warmth. Complaining about the cold was for turagas. Which of the Kalta to bring in? Vakua was an obvious choice, he should still be at the radio receiver; Casanuva? No, his feeling for Soraph might compromise his judgement. Cyrix? No... he had a job to do. Kalyss should attend, as deputy leader. She should be at the Arsenal. Only a few stops, thanks to his Kualsi. But Reordin... that required a deft touch. From what he had heard from the Maru upon their appointment in Ko-Koro, Reordin might react poorly to Aelied being a messenger of Akiri Tarkahn. No... better to work through others.

Outside the Sanctum, he activated his Kualsi, travelling to the edge of a building overlooking the Koro. It wasn't hard to find Skorm and Zueya, the sheer contrast in their sizes already marked them apart from the crowd. One more flash, and he was approaching them from the side of the road. The two seemed caught off-guard; Skorm removed his hand from around Zueya's shoulder, and she visibly stiffened. "Master Aelied, what is it?"

"Akiri Tarkahn is calling a meeting with several of his advisors regarding the influx of Dasaka; they are refugees, fleeing an invasion of Rahkshi in their land. I am getting Vakua and Kalyss; could you get Toa Reordin and tell him of this?"

The two had barely gotten a chance to nod before Aelied was off again, to the radio receivers. He saw Vakua, taking in the design of the antennae. "Vakua, the Akiri is calling a meeting regarding the Dasaka. I think you should be there, given your insights."

IC: Casanuva - Kalta Arsenal

The Fa-Toa immediately glanced up at the movement. His heartstone almost fluttered. Had it been a fluke? Did he need to her to a healer? She stirred again. Casanuva stood, knocking over the stool, and backed up to the door, tossing his istone on the table. "Kalyss!" he shouted. "Kalyss, she's waking up!"

The healers had told him what happened to individuals afflicted with Parakuka the first time they awoke. Casanuva very much hoped it was an exaggeration, or that Soraph would be immune. But he couldn't rest everything on hope. He had to protect her, even if it was from herself.

OOC: @Toa Fanixe

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 04:30:30 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP

Korzaa’s ice blue eyes drilled into Dartakh’s slightly lighter colored ones as she tried to size him up and file him into an easy category in her mind, liking she was sorting a new tool. After another second of stillness, she swiftly snatched a small shard of ice from a drawer in her desk and begin scratching a hasty message onto it.

“I have your assignment then. There’s a group of new recruits preparing to head on their first mission, a scouting expedition with the Ihu-Koro Highlanders near the dark walk. I’d like you to coach them on anti-elemental close combat, then accompany and protect them in the tunnel.”

She offered him the inscribed shard of ice, “Bring this to Lieutenant Dargon, he’ll give you a brief orientation on Sanctum Guard protocol before sending you to The Lieutenant to help with training.”

“Any questions?”

:m_o::m_o::c:

Okay so the OOC logistics are: Dargon is an NPC I just made up, but The Lieutenant is Kaithas's Ihu-Koro Highlander NPC who’s leading the expedition. I’m happy to RP with you as Dargon, but you can also time breeze over the orientation stuff and then meet up with The Lieutenant in the training yards. 

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 14:15:31 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • 15 hours ago, Wotz said:

"Fine, whatever."

Kahlynn was far from wanting death on his conscience. But to play the hero and place someone else's needs before his own was simply not in his nature. It wasn't like he and Gak were lifelong friends, or related or anything - the other Skakdi was just some old drunkard. They had met in a bar, one of Kahlynn's usual haunts, and in a state of utter inebriation Gak had spilled the beans on this treasure map. It didn't take much convincing for them to leave for Ko-Wahi immediately. But no matter how much Mahi Blud he coaxed the old man along with, Gak refused to reveal the precise location or nature of the treasure, nor would he draw a map.

Remembering the Mahi Blud, Kahlynn reached for his hip flask. It squeaked a little as he unscrewed it - the cold - and poured it into his gigantic mouth. It wasn't actual blood, of course, it was made from berries and named as such for its colour.

Blud still trickling in streams down his chin, he looked back over at Mar. "You got medical training or something, Marc?"

"There's some medical supplies still in storage here" I revealed, standing up, "whomever built this place wanted it to last, it clearly did longer than whomever was running it"

It was quite something to be describing the folly of what I could only presume was an organization with goals and plans of some sort. Building a fortified base around the Cablecar station was a sure sign of that. And yet, here I was, with no clear plans whatsoever. Funny how that works.

"I'll go and get them, Karv's staying here to keep an eye on things" I said, and subsequently delivered a sharp whistle. Karv understood the signal. Guard!

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 14:40:23 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Kahlynn (Obsidian)

"Woof woof!" Kahlynn barked playfully at the Kavinika, hurling his stick across the room. "Fetch, boy!"

• Edited on 2021-09-03 14:40:46 by Wotz
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 15:19:09 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Mar (Obsidian Outpost)

I heard the Skakdi's attempts to distract Karv very clearly, but didn't bother to comment on it. Karv also did not react, he had been trained better than that.

It took me a few moments to find my way back to the storage area I had come across earlier when exploring the base. I was lucky, there was what appeared to be some basic fatigue and cold treatments remaining, hypothermia and frostbite were clearly ailments the occupants expected to have to treat.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 17:05:59 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP

By now the fire had warmed Kahlynn up enough to deal with the brunt of the chill - even so, his bones still felt frozen. More importantly, his parka was mostly dry, so he slid it back on and rose to observe the view from the window. It was hard to make out through the blizzard, but it looked like they were near to the Ko-Ta- cable car. The surrounding geography was familiar from only the day before, when he and Gak had arrived in the Wahi. Had they only made it that far? The blizzard must have disorientated the pair more than they had realised.

Returning to Gak, Kahlynn opted to take his chances one last time. He grabbed the old Skakdi by his collar and lifted him right up till they were face-to-face. "Wake up, Gak! You aren't fooling me. Tell me where the treasure is, or I'll stop Mar. I'll fight him if I have to. You'll die."

Half to Kahlynn's surprise, Gak's eyes light up. There was still some faint awareness in there.

"WAKE UP!" He roard, shaking his half-frozen guide.

A thin, decrepit smirk spread across Gak's face. His mouth opened, as if to say something - but in place of words, a single conclusive breath, almost a sigh, poured out of his grinning mouth.

Kahlynn looked down just in time to see the last embers of light dissipate from the old Skakdi's heartlight. The secret had died with him. "."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 19:17:34 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Mar (Obsidian Outpost)

The thing about having such acute hearing is, you get a lot of practice filtering out the stuff you don't need to pay attention to.

It's easier if you also control sound, of course, and with a mask of X-Ray vision to throw on top of that, the truth was I didn't leave the Skakdi alone for even a second, even though I'd left the room.

"Wake up, Gak! You aren't fooling me. Tell me where the treasure is, or I'll stop Mar. I'll fight him if I have to. You'll die."

I spun around on my heels where I was standing. I could see him above me, there was only a floor between us, I could knock him out with a blow to his eardrums in a second if I needed to...

"WAKE UP!"

And then the Skakdi was dead... by his own hand? If the other one had done something to end his life, I wasn't able to tell...

My hands balled into fists where I stood, just staring at the ceiling with a real feeling of anger beginning to build up in me in a way I faintly registered was frightening. I didn't feel this way, I wasn't supposed to feel this way, but then again I was.

I breathed, bottling it up, putting it aside. This was all completely wrong, this wasn't how things were supposed to be, yet it was all I knew.

"Calm, calm... you've been through worse than this, much worse"

I started walking up the stairs again. Let's see what he had to say for himself.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 19:38:36 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP

Hearing Mar coming back up the stairs, Kahlynn dumped Gak's limp form on the floor and returned to the window, pretending not to notice that the other Skakdi had died. As the Toa stepped through the doorway, he called over his shoulder, "We aren't far from the cable car, you know," he faked an amiable chuckle, "I thought Gak got me further than that!"

• Edited on 2021-09-03 19:39:01 by Wotz
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 19:41:13 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • NPC: Ihu-Koronian Highlanders: The Lieutenant

There wasn't much of a mystery as to why the Lieutenant had been chosen to lead this excursion. Sure, his time was more valuable than the ice Skakdi he normally worked with--and likely, the Sergeant would be more useful in the dark--but certain things couldn't be trusted to his cigar-chomping, disgruntled second-in-command. Namely things that required speaking. Or diplomacy. Or really much of anything that wasn't shooting things with the repurposed ballista he called a crossbow.

There was also the matter of the Sergeant having heard about Rahkshi of all things and ensconcing himself with the Coroner, claiming Ihu's mortuary was the most secure place on the island.

Course, if Ihu intended to resist another of Makuta's occupations, they could use what was in those pages. Theoretically. If that nutjob hadn't just filled his entire notebook with "all work and no Kohlii makes--"

He was rambling again. 

The Ko-Toa leaned back against a fence on Ko-Koro's streets, looking up toward the ever-present snowfall. 

Oh well. Diplomacy still had a point.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 19:58:16 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP

Dartakh stared back at the captain without flinching, or making any other kind of movement, until she broke off eye contact and started to write something down. He thought how nice it was to be able to record thoughts. Perhaps one day, he should learn how to do that.

"Yes ma'am, though they lack my special piece of anti-elemental equipment. I suppose I can still teach them a trick or two."

He took the ice shard and figured he'd make a trustworthy messenger as he wasn't able to read the messages himself. "Only one, ma'am: Where can I find this Dargon? I don't know my way around this place yet."

OOC: @Visaru sure we can go through the orientation, so i know how dartakh is supposed to behave while serving the guard

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 20:12:51 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP

"Of course. He has an office on one of the lower levels. Speak to one of the guards outside, they'll direct you to him."

She appreciated his quick grasp of the rules of etiquette, although she didn't let her surprise show. It was not every Vortixx mercenary who called her ma'am every sentence without a reminder.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 21:08:48 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP

"Thanks, I'll be on my way then." He saluted her and turned around to leave the office. All the formalities were annoying, but he knew he had to act more professional now that he had a more professional employer. Such was the life of a mercenary.

He got directions from a nearby guard and followed him down the stairs to Dargon's office. He wasn't sure what "Guard Protocol" exactly meant, but he hoped it wouldn't be too horribly boring. After letting out a deep sigh, he knocked on the door.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 21:14:42 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

"Sooooo this is where you've been getting to," A voice commented curiously with the sound of shifting glass. There was no broom to hand but a vine easily swept the shards nicely to one side, clear enough that there was no risk of piercing her boot. "I wondered."

The bar wasn't exactly a tourist attraction. Especially not with the sorry state it was in now. But it wasn't hard to see where the charm had been in its prime, and where Reordin Saporta had drawn from when he decorated the Sanctum Guard Only back in Pala-Koro. They weren't identical, not by any stretch, but he'd clearly been channeling the dingy bars of his own youth. It brought a small smile to her face. She picked up a bottle for herself, out of the pack on the table beside her, and popped the cap off with her thumb to take a drink.

"Figured you must have found a hideyhole, Rrrreo. Just wasn't sure whe-" Skri paused, pivoting to look at a frame on the wall and squinting. "Is that you?"

OOC: @Haman Karn: A Magical Girl

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 21:51:02 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

"Hey, Skri," he droned, sitting up to watch the Toa of Plant Life - and his once and future business partner - wander in. He had little doubt someone would tail him here eventually, and the Toa Maru of Ice was relieved that at least it was one of his friends. As she looked around, he could tell what she was remembering: the dive in Pala-Koro they had converted out of what was once a tactical enclave, the place where he and two dozen doomed soldiers from the Sanctum Guard had planned to crack the Nui-Rama Hive open like a nut. Only he had survived. 

He thought of Trakuda, as he often did. Trakuda was another loud, brash Ko-Matoran like him, and though he had never been a soldier a day in his life the ILF veteran had acquitted himself better than most soldiers Reo had ever seen. The Toa Maru's memories of that day made it seem endless, but each of them seemed as vivid as the day they had all survived together; the feeling of Rama innards splashing across his chest and arms, and the revolting, viscous feeling as it rolled off the Kualsi he'd worn as a Matoran. He remembered the terror as Skrihen dueled with Heuani and wondered if she ever saw him when she looked into his eyes, or whenever she watched the way he walked and laughed and grew furious. He remembered Sulov, so thickly accented in those days that Reo had needed to translate for much of the ILF, and how quickly he had thrown away reputation and commission to help his best friend. For a long time he had wondered how much of that bear-hearted Matoran was still in his brother Maru. Leah had arrived too, one of the angels of the Gukko Force there to help drive the killing blows.

But it was Trakuda - a friend he had made and lost in days - that he remembered most, because it was Trakuda that had been alongside him every step of the way. Stabbing Rama, slashing Rama, chopping at them, jumping from unwilling mount to unwilling mount in a mad quest to be the first to the Hive - it had been them, two Ko-Matoran playing against type, that kept each other going. Reo remembered how, when they had lost the strength to clutch their knives any longer, they had lashed serrated wood disks to their arms - then lashed themselves at the waists, ensuring that as long as one had the strength to drag the other they would remain a Nui-Rama blender. He remembered the look of wolfish victory on Trakuda's face as he unleashed a platoon's worth of explosive Madu, himself at the eye of the volatile hurricane, and how quickly that look had been engulfed by flames.

He took a long drink. More than once since that day - the day Trakuda had cracked open the Nui-Rama Hive and revealed the Suva Nui beneath it that he would one day revisit to become a Toa - he returned back to the site and took a long drink there, too. 

If I had died that day, I would have still been a hero. I would have died happy. Everything else has felt like postscript.

Of course, that day he had gone back to Sanctum Guard Only to drink, too. It was there Takua had found him and first impressed upon him the concept of Destiny, the first day he'd ever been blighted with Stannis' name. Plagia had even interrupted them, asking for a shovel to bury a friend. He rolled his eyes good-naturedly at the memory, and that movement snapped him out of his vigil.

"Huh?" he grunted, in response to whatever she'd asked. He looked up to see her staring in wide-eyed glee at a picture on the wall. It was a look he recognized well; after all, Skri had been the Mark Bearer of Joy once upon a time. There was only one possible picture that could have put her back into her old element, and he hastily stood up, gripping his beer bottle like a cudgel.

"No. Whatever you think it is, it's not."

-Tyler

• Edited on 2021-09-03 21:52:45 by Haman Karn: A Magical Girl
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 21:58:16 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

"It is." The laughter threatening to break free bubbled in her voice, splitting her face in the widest grin it had held in a long time. Skri snatched the frame off of the wall before Reordin, fully ready to brain her with a bottle, could stop her. She danced back a couple steps, taking a long draught and regarding the picture with unadulterated glee. The face that face that peered out of the frame wasn't glowering, not yet, but she could see the beginnings of one forming. The Matoran was tiny— tinier even than when Reo had been a Matoran in the Sanctum Guard— and couldn't even come close to planting his feet on the floor from the stool upon which he sat. "Oh my Nui, it is. You wouldn't say that if it it wasn't!"

The merc cackled, setting her bottle down to hold it in her other hand. 

"You used to smile!"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 22:07:12 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

"I wouldn't say that twerp's not me if that twerp wasn't me?" The Toa of Ice crossed his arms and let out a frustrated breath. Whatever little idiot it was in that picture, whether it was Reo or some look-alike who had only been there to watch his old man fight and was definitely not the bar's mascot, she definitely got way too sick a thrill out of hugging the picture to her chest like that. He had half a mind to call the Sanctum and have her hauled in.

"And I smile all the time," he added, scowling.

-Tyler

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 22:17:19 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

"The helI you do." The merc laughed, again, and held the frame out for him to take and no doubt hide away forever. "And you absolutely wouldn't freak like that if it wasn't you. Look at you. Little fight club mascot."

"Heya, Reo."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 22:21:18 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

"Keep it." He waved a hand at the photo dismissively. "You'll do a better job at tucking it somewhere than I will."

He hooked a stool over for Skrihen to sit in and reclaimed his own perch atop the bar. He sipped at the beer he had intended to strike her down with and took a long look at the one-time Mark Bearer. Skri was unhappy in Ko-Koro, and it was hard to blame her. She'd only been dragged here because of him, and everything about the snow, the cold, and the politics screamed against her brusque, honest nature. That, and she genuinely meant well. That was more than you could say for a lot of people on Mata Nui anymore.

"Did I ever tell you my mum was a Le-Matoran?" He swirled what remained of his drink and then swallowed it. "Gukko Force. Wish I'd been a Le-Matoran, the longer I stick around this place anymore."

-Tyler

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 22:29:55 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

"Welllll," She tucked the frame into a pocket in her jacket, just inside the left breast, and sank onto the stool. Skri downed the last of her bottle and tossed it, underhand, into the same pile she'd shifted aside on her way in. The cap of a new bottle followed it with a flick of her thumb. "There's no making you a Le-Matoran. But if you'd ever take a hint we can get you to Le-Wahi. There's a nicer bar down there, I hear someone's been taking pretty good care of it. Something someone said about making sure it was still standing when he got back."

A wink took most of the sting out of what might have been a pretty sarcastic comment and she took a long drink. Something had Reo down a mental blind alley, again, and she was gonna drag him back out. But that took a semi-delicate process.

"Tarkahn hired those Kolts, what's there for you to do around here? We've both been working our butts off to get the Guard trained up, but there's only so much we can do with what we got. What gives?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 22:42:12 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

"That's the thing though, isn't it? They were hired. Anyone can say they're Ko-Koro's Toa, and anyone who lives here has a point. Maybe I shouldn't be their official protector just because I'm a Maru. Maybe I should. But when they needed protecting, I wasn't here." He tossed his empty bottle, too, and began wondering whether or not he could make two pendants for Stannis at this rate. 

"We're training the Guard and the Guard are training the people. Where's the sense in that?" he mused bitterly. "They're operating off the same frame of reference - us. These aren't the nicest people, but they're good people. They're not meant to fight their way out of trouble - and they shouldn't be forced to, either." 

He grabbed another two beers and chipped the cap away on the bar. Rolling the cap between the fingers of one hand, he reached over with the other and squeezed the other Toa's fingers.

"Yeah, Skri, I want to go back. You, me, maybe even Plag and Alfon if we can keep 'em off each other. Spend every other night blitzed in Pala-Koro, sharing stories and dunking Alfon's head in the sink until he chokes. Mata Nui, wouldn't I love a break. And if I took one, maybe Tarkahn would never need my help. But maybe he would, too. Or maybe the people would need me to help protect them from him. And I swore I'd be there to give that. As a Matoran and a Toa. Might be a stupid oath. But it's mine. Officially or not."

-Tyler

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 23:25:03 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

"It is stupid."

But it was what she'd expected, too. Insanity was doing the same thing over and expecting something else, and by that definition Skrihen was definitely insane— but anyone who said so was gonna need a punch. Even knowing the answer she had to try. It was her own duty in a way. A requirement that she try, no matter how hopeless, to get him to take a break. She squeezed back, and took a long drink from her bottle and let out an equally long sigh.

"But s'what I expected, too. You never were that smart." She squeezed again and the levity faded from her voice. Her other hand joined her first, enveloping his as she turned on her stool to face him directly. Her eyes met blue, not for the first time but the first with an understanding. An awareness of what was looking back. Not one that she had ever said, but one she knew to be true without ever asked. It had bothered her in Ta-Koro when she met him for the first time after he left. Bothered her because she didn't understand it. Even on the sail to Ko-Wahi, during the trip through the tunnel... Every now and again it twinged, a little neuron at the back of her brain, reminding her of the only time she'd ever really been scared. The moment she'd been closest to death. "Even after they upgraded your brain."

But fighting in Ko, seeing him with part of his team— working with him to train the Guards ever since— she was shocked she hadn't guessed at it sooner. The subconscious was good at pattern recognition even when the forebrain didn't quite catch up. She'd met, however briefly, half the Maru at the Hive. Reordin had been a Ko-Matoran, Sulov Koskium the Ussalry Commander an Onu-Matoran; but Leah Maru hadn't been a Ga-Matoran. No one had ever had the Kanohi they did, either, or wielded their powers so thoroughly; it could have been an aberration like any of the others. But without knowing how, without having the slightest idea how it was possible, she got the message her brain had tried to tell her.

"Remember how excited you were to run a bar? When you had to stay in Pala?" The Toa asked after a long pause, tilting her head just a little.  "I understand your oath. I do. It's a pain, I hate this village, and I would literally kill to see a single tree. Let alone a decent temperature. But I came here to help. I'll stay here to help. Wherever your duty decides it's time for you to go, no matter how stupid, I'll go. But you have to let me."

"Whatever else happens, wherever you have to go, whoever you have to go with, don't leave me behind again."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-03 23:32:50 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Skorm & Zueya - Ko-Koro Streets

"You didn't need to cajole that guard like that," Zueya pouted.

Skorm grunted. "He was holding out on where Reordin was." The Solstice district was under them. No normal direct route, but it helped Toa of Gravity to think in three dimensions. "I'll apologize to him later. But Aelied interrupted our off-time for this, and I don't appreciate playing errand boy."

"Well, at least we can do it together," Zueya said, before furrowing her brow in thought. "Glacierpool Inn... wasn't there a Lavapool in Ta-Koro?"

Skorm shrugged. "Maybe it was a fad." He offered his hand to Zueya, who smiled as she took it. Together the two Toa Kalta jumped off the ledge, drifting to the bottom, cushioned by Skorm's control over gravity.

Zueya turned to the massive Ba-Toa. "Do you think it was a franchise?"

The white-cloaked Toa shrugged again, looking around. "The Legacy was not kind to this area."

"Yeah... Tarkahn is focusing on the immediately visible areas to fix up. Is that it?" Zueya pointed to one of the wrecked dilapidated buildings; graffitied, broken windows, and half a door, but with a faded sign.

Skorm nodded, and started striding toward the building. Zueya could see that he wasn't in the most diplomatic mood; she had to spring for a second (with a second's use of her Calix, stupid long-legged Skorm. He pushed open what was left of the door, standing aside; Zueya peered inside. "Reordin Maru?"

OOC: @Krayzikk @Haman Karn: A Magical Girl

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-04 01:06:54 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP

7 hours ago, Daniel the Finlander said:

IC: Dartakh (Ko-Koro, Sanctum, Korzaa's Office)

He got directions from a nearby guard and followed him down the stairs to Dargon's office. He wasn't sure what "Guard Protocol" exactly meant, but he hoped it wouldn't be too horribly boring. After letting out a deep sigh, he knocked on the door.

A moment passed, a grumble, and then a gruff voice shouted out "COME IN!"

When Dartakh opened the door, he found a large strangely shaped room. The far wall and the floor were made of ice bricks, while the other walls and the ceiling were a rough, cavelike texture. This room had clearly been formed by a powerful explosion during one of the battles to conquer the Koro, and it had only been functionally repaired. However, the cavernous space had been well used. It was lined with practice dummies, racks of old weapons, benches, and a long blackboard smeared with incompletely erased chalkdust. A few Ko-Matoran, clearly identified as civilians by the uncomfortable way they held their mismatched spears, practiced lunges under the watchful gaze of an old Matoran standing on one of the benches in the middle of the room. 

As the door opened, he turned to Dartakh, his ice-blue eyes narrowing under his scarred jet-black Pakari. 

"You a new recruit?" he asked, in the low gravely rumble of a lifelong smoker. He continued on before Dartakh could get an answer out, "My name's Dargon, used to be one of the best soldiers the Sanctum guard's ever seen, killed a Muaka with my bare hands, but age comes for us all, you know? Job's got a lot harder now I'm in charge of folks like these who've never held a spear in their life. 'Course, that's what most new recruits have always been like, but the problem with civilians is they've got no spirit, y'know? They don't want to be here, got no drive, and that makes it hard to train them. DON'T LOWER THOSE SPEARS, KO-MATORAN! STEP AND LUNGE! AGAIN! Right, sorry about that, gotta keep them motivate with sheer volume sometimes. Say, you don't look like you've never held a spear though. What's your story, Vortixx? Got a tragic backstory? Some grim and dark past?"

He finally stopped, although it might have just been to take a long drag on the pipe he appeared to have conjured from nowhere rather than to give Dartakh a chance to respond. 

• Edited on 2021-09-04 04:53:53 by Visaru
    Woops -- Ko-Koro isn't drafting civilians, it's just training them. Updated the scene to rectify my misunderstanding
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-04 04:30:21 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC, Atamai: Ko-Koro

Atamai waited at the front of the village as agreed upon. The sun was barely peaking out over the horizon; the orange glow bounced off of the snow-laden ground. 

The Ta-Matoran shivered and adjusted his scarf and backpack. He had bought supplies the previous day after his conversation with the two Ko-Matoran. Water? Check. Food? Check. A tent? Check. A heatstone? Check. Extra supplies like rope? Also check.

Atamai's scope zoomed in and out as he scanned for his new traveling companions. He wondered just exactly what he was getting himself into...

OOC: @BULiK @Tarn

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-04 05:48:22 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Savrehn - Ko-Koro

A pile of snow near Atamai suddenly shuddered and rose, revealing the form of Savrehn underneath as he stood to his feet and shook it off. His optics were on the Ta-Matoran the entire time, and his arm was raised slightly to put his watch in view as he pointed towards it.

“You’re late, firespitter.”

The Ko-Matoran dusted some lingering snow off his armor. “I see you’re prepared,” he said, looking at the gear Atamai had brought. “Where’s the other one? The one with promise. Thought she’d be here before you.”

OOC: @BULiK@~Xemnas~

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-04 08:05:24 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • 12 hours ago, Wotz said:

IC: Kahlynn (Obsidian)

As the Toa stepped through the doorway, he called over his shoulder, "We aren't far from the cable car, you know," he faked an amiable chuckle, "I thought Gak got me further than that!"

So, he was going to play dumb? Fair enough, two can play at that game.

"Any signs of life from him?" I asked, pulling out a couple of actual medicine bottles I had gotten my hands on. What was actually in those bottles Mata Nui alone knew for sure.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-04 09:36:12 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP

Kahlynn turned and looked at Gak, as if he had actually forgotten about the other Skakdi, and shrugged innocently.

It was beginning to cross his mind that he had somehow scared Gak to death - it played on him, but his black heart did not sink; somewhere therein was a sick pride that he attempted to ignore.

Feigning obliviousness, he casually strode over to the blue-amoured heap on the ground and jabbed him with his pointy toe. "Hey, Gak, you good there, buddy?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-04 16:04:52 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Dartakh (Ko-Koro, Sanctum)

The room certainly didn't look like an office, and at first he wondered if he was at the wrong place. But the tone of the Matoran left no doubt that he was the officer he was looking for, even before he said his name. He always found it annoying when puny Matoran tried to act tough. Dargon's remarks about his past annoyed him even more. He had to resist the temptation to punch his face and merely frowned.

"I am a mercenary warrior, and the rest is none of your business, sir. Captain Korzaa told me to bring you this message, and to get 'orientation on guard protocol', whatever that means." He offered the inscribed chunk of ice to him.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-04 17:17:31 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP

“Just trying to make conversation, lad, just bein’ friendly…” Dargon took the piece of ice, squinted at it for a while, then clenched his fist and crumbled it into frost. “Right then, basic training, here we go, follow me, and welcome to the guard.”

He beckoned for Dartakh to follow him over to the black board and take a seat on the benches.

“Right so, you work for the Sanctum guard now, we’re proud heroes. Way back when, before even my time, we were just two fellas whose job was mostly keeping an eye on the drifts for angry Rahi. The Koro’s a lot bigger now and we’re doin’ a lot more than meditating at the sanctum these days. We’ve got a veritable army now, with a real command structure and cutting edge weaponry, and we’re not gonna let our city get turned into a pit of debased villainy again.” He mumbled a few curses about Makuta worshipers as he retrieved a few maps.

The next few hours were a blur of names, rules, and off topic opinions as Dargon’s mind constantly wandered into unrelated areas. Through the sheer quantity of words he spewed with only a pause to suck on his pipe, he still was able to give a fairly comprehensive outline of the duties of a Sanctum guard, how to navigate the city and the Sanctum, and what the command structure looked like. There were barracks available in multiple areas across the Koro, but as a mercenary Dartakh was not required to stay in them, although he was required to give the guard notice of where he was staying so they could find him if needed. Training sessions were happening daily, in multiple different locations, and they were free to attend for him, but not mandatory. He’d be called on to help with more or less of the training depending on the decisions of his superiors, and his performance on his first mission.

The mission was to assist with a scouting expedition into the Darkwalk. Ko-Koro was sparing none of its core officers, sending instead a group of seven fresh recruits and a few other mercenaries to assist the Ihu-Koro highlanders.  There would be a training session soon, where Dartakh would meet the other members of the team, and give a lesson in close combat. Then they’d gather their supplies and make for the tunnel, to brave whatever dangers lurked inside. 

But his current task was to seek out the man Dargon only referred to as The Lieutenant, who was in charge of the expedition. The Lieutenant was a Ko-Toa, part of the Highlander’s upper ranks, and Dargon said he could be found along Muaka road. 

“Right then, pleasure to have another Vortixx on the guard, always good to have tall folks around to intimidate Toa who wanna make use of their powers for the worse. Welcome to the Sanctum Guard.” He offered a hand to Dartakh to shake. 

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-04 22:11:30 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Safina - Ko-Koro exterior

Darkness.

An abyss so deep that by clawing oneself back out of it, the other side from whence you came likewise becomes the abyss, stretching upward forever. Nothing beneath your feet. Nothing above your arms. Neither falling nor rising. Bereft of all senses, each slowly dissolving into the void until all that is left is that silent echo of oneself straining, pushing back against the abyss. But there is nothing to push against, nothing to grasp between teeth or palms and tear into but exactly that - oneself; and to lose oneself to the abyss is to do exactly that. To lose oneself in the abyss of the mind. That all-encompassing darkness that perverts every corner of self until nothing original remains and the whole is corroded forever.

Until a handhold is found. Not immediately, not even in the next moment or the next or the next. That single stone onto which one must fixate or slip further - it finds you, and you find it. A chance meeting made only more common by entropy and the changing of all things. Some call it Destiny. Others call it Luck. The abyss calls it a falsity, or a mirage, or some other petulant lie - and you call the abyss a liar and deceiver, lest the abyss take you again and that handhold disappears.

And if you’re one of the lucky few that can climb from the abyss after being drowned in its siren song for god-knows-how-long and touch your fingers to your face, and exclaim that yes, indeed, you are free of that darkness, and fill your lungs with new life… To see the sun again and know that it, too, emerges from the inkstained tapestry through which it peers - its fire becomes yours to burn away the tendrils of dark, excise the tumour from your mind. Emerge.

Artathi, she intoned, her inner voice reverberating deep within the throngs of her being, grant me my sight to see the path before me. Grant me the wisdom of the stars. Grant me the strength to move my limbs and the clarity of mind to feel all the world.

Silence.

Be with me, Artathi.

A murmur in the dark: I am here.

___ __ _

Safina stared at the gaping maw of the Dark Walk for a long while. Watching the Sanctum Guard milling about around it, scurrying to and fro, erecting further icy fortifications and watching the chasm for movement performing combat drills. There was more activity here than usual - another imminent assault to clear the passage, perhaps?

It was scarcely a matter of months ago that she was striding down the goliath cavern, with a small group of others - mostly Toa, she the only Turaga. Piercing through that memory was the sensation of how the shadow seemed to squeeze at their throats, choke the very life out of them as they carried on deeper and deeper into nothingness. It was not long before the banshee-wailing of the beasts down below cut through the all-encompassing, pure silence. They cried out for their father, for the nurturing cold caress of his will. When they, too, were met with that silence, they cried out for blood, their only directive now to kill

All had heard the rumours, of the return of that darkest darkness dwelling beneath the deepest recesses of the world. A presence guiding the Rahkshi, spurring them on with greater intelligence, driving them upwards in careful, calculating steps, stopping short of the light. 

Perhaps they, too, were preparing, drilling - watching the surface for any premature incursion.

Nestled carefully on the overlook, Safina sat within her Exo-Matoran - a tangle of deep-black mechanisms and servos, matte against the blinding white of Ko-Wahi. She powered down B4’s systems again, conserving and regenerating power as she continued to watch, gazing deeply into the ominous pit before her…

The deepest darkness, nestled within a halo of blinding white.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-04 22:36:54 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Dartakh (Ko-Koro, Sanctum)

He followed after Dargon and sat down on one of the benches that wasn't Matoran-sized. As Dartakh listened to him speak, he thought how despite all the history, organization and "protocol", the Guard had failed to prevent the town from falling into enemy hands. At the very least, he got some useful information about how he was supposed to behave. It appeared the rules were less strict for a freelance mercenary such as himself, probably because mercenaries could always seek a better employer if they were unhappy with the conditions. Sometimes, that employer was the enemy.

Finally, at the end of the speech, he stood up and firmly shook his hand. "Thank you, sir. I'll be on my way then."

He left the room, walked down the hallways to leave the Sanctum and was soon heading down the Muaka road, looking for the Ko-Toa Dargon had described. Eventually, he saw one who looked like the right person. Of course, the only way to be sure was to ask.

"Hey there. Are you the Lieutenant?"

He wasn't sure what the Toa's real name was. He used to simply call himself Champion back when he had been part of the Outsiders, but he doubted that the Highlanders required its members to avoid using real names. Usually the only people who voluntarily tried to obscure their identity were cowards. Hopefully that wasn't the case with this Toa.

OOC: @Leaf

• Tags:
  • Posted 2021-09-04 22:39:05 UTC
    BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

Reo's eyes flared in impatience. He had opened his mouth to respond to Skrihen when he heard a call for him by name. That irritated him; there had only ever been a finite number of places where he could sit and think for himself in Ko-Koro, and that number had only begun to dwindle as the weeks had gone by. Leah would have called that sort of thing brooding - Mata Nui knew Skri loved to - but he didn't think it was the worst thing in the world to ask for a little peace and solitude. He appreciated a break from being so charismatic all the time; he had no idea how Stannis was capable of it.

Oh. Right.

He took a long drink and steadied himself on the bar. He recognized the voice as one of the Toa Kalta, and listening to the crunch of ice and snow on the dilapidated stairs, there was another waiting in the wings.

"In here," he called back, with a sidelong look at the Toa of Plant Life. "Yeah? Am I needed at the Sanctum?"

-Tyler

• Tags: