BZPRPG: Po-Wahi

Po
A banner for the topic
  • Posted 2013-05-25 20:50:52 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC (Cael)

"It's a fine night," he cooed, holding her to himself and rocking a little from side to side. Cael looked behind her, and could hardly make out the face, though she felt it melt her trepidation; Heuani's visage was nearly pitch black under the soft, powerless starlight.

One of his hands coaxed one of hers up just as the other spun her lightly, letting her pass under the bridge that their raised arms made. The two Toa faced each other, and Heuani held Cael's figure as though it was made of flawless glass. Now that she could see him better, Cael recognized that the starlight around Heuani's silhouette dimmed more and more the nearer it came to him.

"I know why you are here, sparrow..."

Cael awoke with a soft gasp, jolting out of the dream and back into reality. Blinking back sleep, she struggled to make her eyes focus, and Heuani's face was gradually replaced by the spare interior of Stannis' hut. She took a deep breath, and remembered where she was.

Her heart began to slow its Kakama-like pace. Lifting a hand to the scar on her face, she traced the mark with trembling fingers; the throbbing echoed her heartbeat.

Heuani is dead. He cannot hurt me anymore.

She repeated this fact to herself until her pulse had slowed back down, then breathed a soft sigh of relief, and wiped the cold sweat from her brow. Careful not to disturb Joske, who still slept, she silently slipped out of bed. She needed air.

Navigating Stannis' house in the cool darkness of the early morning was relatively easy: the Toa Maru's home was as spartan as the rooms of the Massif. Locating the ladder, she climbed down, then stole past a slumbering Merror and found the door.

The latch opened silently; Cael pulled the door ajar and stepped outside before closing it behind her. The cool early-morning air greeted her like a familiar embrace, waking her up like diving into the waters of Naho Bay had once done. In contrast to the dry heat of the previous day, Po-Koro was cold and fresh before the sunrise.

The sun had yet to peek above the horizon, but the eastern sky was already beginning to grow light. The healer stood to the side of Stannis' hut, and watched the sky.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-25 21:39:06 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • Ic: Stannis had retired to his room after the evening conversation with his even heart. It hadn't sunk from the disparaging commends he had made on the akiri or soared at the sight of Joske's company, it had instead remained level as his character, unwavering in its standard. No more words were spoken that night. Cael and Joske had quickly made themselves at home in the spare bedroom and Merror quickly found his place on the sofa leaving Stannis to go to his quarter and write.

He had spent the night in deep thought, putting together a draft to present the other Maru with, a contract among themselves and a compact to give them structure. The thoughts of destiny, however, weighed upon him and his pen. The poem on the Vault taunted him even still, but that thought was set aside like his inkwell. He could not write any further and crawled onto his bed.

The chilly nights in Po-Wahi were somehow among the only comforting things he found in the village because they reminded him the Massif. It was a familiar feeling, one that warmed his soul more than a woolen blanket could, and he tried to close his eyes to relax with the soothing images of home in his mind.

But then the prophet's cogs stirred once again.

Three months had passed since the Makuta's defeat. Three months of rebuilding and restricting. Three months of strange peace. But there always was unease and once again the prophet felt there was a storm coming. His eyes flung open again to comfort himself with the familiar surroundings. The mask! he thought for the thousandth time. What has it wrought? All he could see, all he could feel, were the winds of winter.

Destiny oft worked in mysterious ways. Things were in motion again. He could feel it, he knew it. And those things... had a herald. Toa Joske had sounded the trumpets at the close of the last war, and like the Gatekeeper he was he stood and opened and closed gates of destiny. Thus was his place in reality. But if Joske had never ceased to be The Gatekeeper then Stannis... was still... The Wanderer. He still longed for the unseen, the unknown, and raced for it in ways not his own.

The creak of worn wooden floors and the patter of soft footfalls could be heard in the narrow hallway just beyond the thin stone wall by Stannis' head. Joske's snoring was still audible, leaving the stealing to the woman, Cael. Stannis got up and quietly opened his door just as he heard Cael exit to the front patio. The Toa Maru traced her movements and moved own the ladder and past the still sleeping Merror, then found the woman outside. He shut his front door to signal his presence to the pacific woman.

She was pretty. Stannis could tell why Joske had become so attached to her and so devout in his love. In the quiet of the moment Stannis nobly moved beside her and leaned on the railing with her to await the dawn's early light.

"I hear you are a healer," he said.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-25 23:26:58 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC (Pukena): Pukena watched the scenes around the Hero of Kini-Nui entering the village and being welcomed by Stannis Maru and Akiri Hewkii, but when everything had did down again and the celebrities had retired to a hut, she picked up her cart again and headed back out of the village. She had probably stayed too long already, watching the goings on. The Po-matoran back at the quarry would be waiting on her to cart their stone back to the village, the last load of the day. She picked up her cart and headed out of the village, back to the canyon of the carved heads.

OOC: Pukena open for interaction at or near the quarry.

IC (Manuka): Manuka stood on top of the village wall, watching the sun come closer and closer to the sandy horizon. His watch on top of the village walls was almost done, and the mercenary guard was looking forward to the change. The view from up here was magnificent, but after a long time in the glaring sun, the mercenary-guard desired shade and rest. He pulled his cloak tighter around himself and continued his watch over the sands surrounding the village, seeing the koro's shadow extending further and further over them.

OOC: Manuka open or interaction on top of the village wall.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-25 23:43:31 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • OOC: We meet again Lorax.

IC(Maxiam Kilanewb)

Maxiam was going down the wall, checking the state of weapons, defenses, and the state of the guards themselves. As he walked along, he spotted a guard with a cloak around him, with was out of uniform, and he was certain wasn't approved by him, or any higher-ups.

"You! Cloak! What's your name?" he called out to him as he walked up.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-25 23:58:23 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC (Manuka): Manuka turned to see an angry-looking toa marching towards him and shouting. He hadn't presonally met this toa before, but among the Sentinels, his reputation went before him.

"Maxiam Kilanewb" he said formally, opening his cloak and pullin gout his ID. "I am Manuka, mercenary and hired guard of the Po-koro Sentinels. I am to keep watch here until sunset."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 00:06:39 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC (Cael)

The Toa of Water started at the sound of the door opening, and turned to see Toa Stannis gently closing the door behind him. He quietly joined her at the railing, saying nothing, and for a while the two simply watched the sky, waiting for the dawn.

At last, he spoke. “I hear you are a healer.”

Cael was silent, her eyes still fixed on the eastern horizon. A cool breeze sprang off the desert, rustling the sand that filled the streets.

“I was,” she replied at last. “I haven't healed anyone for a long time.”

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 00:23:03 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC(Maxiam Kilanewb)

Krazing Mercs. Maxiam had little control over them, as they weren't volunteers, but he had the reputation of the Sentinels to protect. "It's Sargeant Kilanewb to you, grunt. Until the sunsets, no cloaks are to be wore, unless I say otherwise. Is that understood, puke?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 00:35:46 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC (Manuka): Manuka felt a strong desire to push Kilanewb off the walls - pity he wore a kadin. He kept the desire in check however, though didtain did colour his voice in the reply. The gratuitous insults were just a bit much.

"I understand, but I do not comply." he told the sargeant. "Hired Sentinels are allowed to change their attire as best suits the task at hand, and I can assure you that I will watch much better with a little something to keep the chill out, and without a larger something screaming in my ear."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 00:42:59 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Komae

The Toa made no response, instead turning to another watcher on the wall and barking out something about a name. Komae sighed to himself. Next time, don't ask the military man, and next time, don't try to talk to someone on top of the wall when you're on the ground.

The Po-Matoran shrugged and turned back to the street. Toa certainly had better things to do than satisfy some Matoran's curiosity anyway. He followed along the wall until he reached the city's gate, and hailed down one of the guards. "Excuse me..."

--------------

Fifteen minutes later, his smile had jumped into a full-blown grin as he strode back into the heart of town. Toa Joske, the hero of Kini-Nui! And others with him! Ah, what a fortuitous day for our little Koro! He hummed to himself as he passed a couple of open stalls hawking Kohlii equipment. His eyes flickered towards the town's quarry. Well, why not? It has been quite a while since I've been down there.

Soon he was at the quarry's edge. Ahead of him he spotted a tall, dark, and admittedly not-very-handsome being of black and green pushing a cart of stone. He got the feeling he'd seen... her around the village before, but for the life of him he couldn't place her name. Well, nobody ever got business done by standing around in silence.

He relaxed the grin into a cheery smile and approached the being, giving an easy wave as he did. "Hey there! Sorry to pop out of the woodwork like this - my name's Komae, I'm a carver back in the village. I'm actually running a bit low on material - mind if I ask if I could purchase a bit of that stone you've got there? And, ah, your name?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:02:47 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC(Maxiam Kilanewb):

"Hired Sentinels reflect upon the Sentinels and as such, you either comply to uniform standards, or I will throw you off this wall myself, you Dermis Turtle! Is that understood?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:08:02 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC: Prei

Even without looking, I already know the source of the commotion. Maxiam was at it again, this time about uniform standards or something.

We don't actually have uniform standards.

"There are no regulations against the wearing of cloaks," I called up to the walls. "He is in his right to wear them."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:13:42 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC(Maxiam Kilanewb):

There was something buzzing in Maxiam's ears. He couldn't placed it until he looked down.

Doughnut Guy, the rankless Sentinel. For all Maxiam knew, Doughnut Guy could Mata freakin' Nui himself, since no one knew his rank. No one. And for that reason, Doughnut Guy earned a special spot in Maxiam's rage. In fact, he refused to remember his name because of that.

"There is regulations from looking like a completely mess, Doughnut Guy!" Maxiam shouted down at him.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:18:56 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC (Pukena): "I'm Pukena" she said, setting down the handles of her cart and bending down to shake the Matoran's hand with her good arm. "Good to meet you. The stone's not actually mine, sorry - I'm just employed to haul it back to the village. If you want some, you'll have to talk to someone there once I get back. I could give you a ride though."

OOC: Thanks Hubert.

IC (Manuka): The sun was getting awfully close to the horizon. If Manuka was lucky, he would be able to leave before Max found another supposed rule he had broken.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:21:46 UTC
    View post on BZP

People keep on failing to remember my name. I don't know why. It's a single syllable, while 'Doughnut Guy' is three.

"I recall you completing a case while heavily intoxicated and wearing a kilt."

It's a surprise how much blackmail material you can dig up while working in the records office.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:25:38 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC(Maxiam Kilanewb):

Maxiam Kilanewb glared at him then changed to a stone faced expression. "Funny, Doughnut Guy, I remember you at that party as well? What was your date's name? Wasn't HIS name like Gerda or something?"

It's a surprise how much blackmail material you can dig up by forcing someone to work in the records office.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:26:43 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC (Manuka): Manuka couldn't help himself. The mental image of the screaming millitary sargeant drunk and in a kilt was just too perfect. He broke down laughing uncontrollably and, for a few moments, the desert was unwatched.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:29:36 UTC
    View post on BZP

Gerda?

Oh yes, him.

"He had magic hands," I said, my voice completely deadpan. "It was hard to get my polearm fixed."

The innuendo and possible embarrassment was worth the expression on Maxiam's face.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:31:30 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC:

Like a wraith moving against the soft palette of sunset, I joined Doughnut Guy at the foot of the Koro's protective walls, watching the almost one-sided shouting match going on between him and the notorious Maxiam Kilanewb -- y'know, the guy who would flay you on the spot for having your badge pinned on the wrong side of your chest, or punch your face onto the other side of your head for forgetting to the proper sentence structure needed on a search warrant application.

At the moment, there seemed to some sort of dispute going on regarding dress code, or whatever, since one of the hired mercs had been caught wearing a -- gasp! -- cloak. The audacity of this guy! Where does he get off trying to be protected against the elements out here? The nerve.

But seriously, I hoped there wasn't anything in the rules about dusters or anything. I had no real inclination to taste yesterday's breakfast tomorrow -- not if it could be avoided.

"Sir!" I called out to Maxiam, "I should point out, that regulation also dictates the usage of proper designation when speaking to another Sentinel. Of which the term 'Doughnut Guy' does not apply!"

-Void

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:41:56 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC(Maxiam Kilanewb):

Rynekk.

Maxiam turned to Manuka and shouted a command for him to watch the "-ing desert!" then he floated down to Doughnut Guy and Rynekk using his mask.

He turned to Doughnut Guy first. "You say that again to me, and I don't care what your rank is, I will break your limbs and dump you in the village well."

He turned to Rynekk next. "I could push the regs down your throat for wearing that piece of kraz." he said, motioning to the duster. "Next time you talk to me that way, I will shove your feet down your throat until you're looking up yourself."

He looked at both of them. "Is that clear?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:42:45 UTC
    View post on BZP

"Actually," I say offhandedly. "There is no regulation for that."

There's a reason why even Hewkii calls me Doughnut Guy.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:49:32 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC (Manuka): The sun set. A toa of stone wearing a kualsi walked onto the wall To take Manuka's place for the first night watch. The Vortixx bowed to him, and then jumped off the wall, so frustrated was he with the sargeant's antics.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:53:09 UTC
    View post on BZP

Did we actually have a village well?

Wait, yes we did.

I believe Tera accidentally pushed me in once.

Oh well, time to get back to work and stare at the gate.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 01:55:53 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • The ground rushed up to meet him, and he could see the small figures of the arguing toa becoming larger by the second, though their shouts were blurred by the wind whistling in his ears. His dive continued for alomst five seconds of adrenaline rush before he summoned a rhotika to his axe and fired it at himself. With the brief moments of telekinetic control it gave him, he slowed himself right down so that he could step lightly off the empty air and onto the ground next to the three.

"You, sir" he told Kilanewb, "are the least helpful guard I have ever had the misfortune to meet. Tell me, when has your posturing and yelling about non-existant rules ever helped anyone, or this village, in any way?"

• Edited on 2013-05-26 02:02:04 by The Lorax
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:10:29 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC(Maxiam Kilanewb):

"You'll address me as sargeant, merc! And while you think so lowly of self-discipline and regulations, I'll have you informed that the Sentinels have got better since they started straightening up! So next time you speak to me, merc, make sure you actually know what you're talking about." Maxiam narrowed his eyes at him. "Is that understood?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:10:54 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC:"I should point out, Sergeant,"A voice intoned calmly, from behind Maxian."That you are breaking your own rules of conduct by threatening fellow Sentinels."It would take only a moment for the appearance to register. Gray armor, gray coat, Sanok. Representative front the Gukko Force. "And in fact, as a hired mercenary, he is able to wear what he wishes. You should really read your own rules."After a pause, he pulled a copy of the book of regulations from his pocket. "In fact, luckily for you, I have one."

• Edited on 2013-05-26 02:11:47 by The Snark Knight
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:14:00 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC(Maxiam Kilanewb):

This one was smart, for a tree-hopper. "If you have read the rules, then you should be able to tell me what it states on sloppy dress. His cloak doesn't have a single crease in it, for your information."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:17:52 UTC
    View post on BZP

This was really getting out of hand.

Really, they should just let old Maxiam strut around.

"Lay off him," I say, lazily turning to face the newcomers. "He's useful."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:17:58 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC:"It is irrelevant. As a mercenary, he may wear what he wishes. Oh, and Sergeant? As per Inter-Koro Regulation article one, general conduct, you are required to address me as "sir"."OOC: If anyone cares to look it up, said regulations were first mentioned in the old Le topic.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:21:03 UTC
    View post on BZP

"Lay off him," I say, lazily turning to face the newcomers. "He's useful."

IC (Manuka): "How?" The Vortixx howled. "All he does is strut around and get in everybody else's way!"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:21:18 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • OOC: Ain't nobody got time for that!

IC(Maxiam Kilanewb):

"Until you watch what lines you're stepping over, flyboy, I won't address you as anything. This is a Po-Koro military matter, not a Le-Koro one. Watch. Where. You're. Stepping."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:24:04 UTC
    View post on BZP

Oh dear. This is going to be bad.

Not bothering to answer the mercenary's question, I grab Maxiam's arm and begin dragging him away from everyone else. He'll thank me later when he doesn't get stomped into the sand.

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:27:20 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • Ic: "That's more than I have healed," Stannis lamented. He didn't pursue the thought further.

"In the past months I've spoken with Joske and others. They lauded you as a wise woman who cares deeply about others. Tell me, what observations do you have on Destiny?"

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:35:10 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC:The look on Krayn's face was positively predatory. "Flyboy?""Well, allow me to inform you, sand-eater, that I believe in abiding by the rules. In fact, I make it a point to do so. And within those rules, I can have you reported for punitive action."The De-Toa's eyes glinted. "But you seem to.insist on throwing those rules out the window. And if you continue, I have no issue doing the same.""You are a disgrace to your village. Now shape up, sirrah."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:37:28 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC(Maxiam Kilanewb):

Before Maxiam could reply, he found himself being dragged off by Doughnut Guy.

"What are you doing, Doughnut Guy?" Maxiam asked him, roughly, "That flyboy over there is disrespecting my Koro, and I won't stand for it!"

EDIT: Ninja'd, and edited.

• Edited on 2013-05-26 02:38:17 by thebeggerpie
  • Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:40:40 UTC
    View post on BZP

Why did Maxiam have to be so stubborn?

It was really annoying.

"I'm making sure you get out with your arms intact."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:48:16 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC(Maxiam Kilanewb):

"I ain't afraid of no flyboy, Doughnut Guy, he only knows how to fight from a Gukko." Maxiam clenched his fists tightly, then shrugged off Doughnut Guy. "Fine, fine! I'll leave him alone, as long as he doesn't try undermining my authority again."

Maxiam looked at Doughnut Guy and started walking towards the inner Koro. "Walk with me, Doughnut Guy, I don't know you enough, and I need to know everyone in the Sentinels."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:50:52 UTC
    View post on BZP

I would have expected him to know me more.

After all, I did break his favourite mug back when I was a rookie.

"I have to get back to work."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:52:27 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC (Manuka): "I'm sorry, sir" Manuka said to the Le-koro representative as he watched Kilanewb being dragged away. "He's hardly doing a good job with the sentinels, but the Akiri tolerates him, so we can't do too much to prevent his behaviour. Please don't take him as being representative of us here in Po-koro."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:55:42 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • IC:"I've been here long enough to know that." Krayn replied quietly, watching the sergeant leave. "He is, however, indicative of the current administration.""And that is very, very worrying."

• Tags:
  • Posted 2013-05-26 02:56:03 UTC
    View post on BZP
  • Ic: Brykon stood in the pre-dawn square of the city like a living statue carved from moondust and exhaled, his hot breath huffing out and condensing with the chilly nighttime desert air like wrath from a frost dragon. Then he shoved the thick cigar between his teeth and dragged long and hard. The white cloud he breathed out was thick enough to blind him for seconds.

He had gone to Po-Wahi to ensure the last vestiges of the old Xa-Koro army had been removed, a cleanup crew of sorts to cover any tracks and bury eyes that saw them. None did. The army had been packed out as neatly as a metrosexual's luggage, spick and span. Without much to do and a few days of freedom, he had taken the chart given to him by Puroruk and followed the stars to Po-Koro for some rest.

And there he was on the first morning since his arrival. Like others in the town he hadn't gotten much sleep. He hadn't for a while. Past memories still haunted him like ghosts from holidays past visiting a skeptic. Mistakes he had made. Things he should have known better than to allow. So while Jin still slept in the room he had opted to explore the dark city and see the sun rise.

Another drag on his cigar and another long exhale. It smelled of vanilla and bacon, his trademark brand from his own plantation, but in the end it was just smoke and it ended up smelling like death. But unlike his ghosts the smoke dissipated fast.

Too bad, he thought. I always liked the smell of death in the morning.

He tossed the butt to the sand and crushed it to dust under his heel and stepped away from his hotel, hugging the wall as he watched the town slowly come back to life.

• Tags: